05 February 2013

‘How to Build a Country From Scratch: A 12 Step Program'


This is a cool video on South Sudan's first year of independence (the NYT doesn't do embeds).

A couple of minor criticisms

1 - was it really necessary to provide subtitles for the Vice President speaking in English?

2 - The final shot is a slide with the text "In late 2012, South Sudan expelled a U.N. human rights officer and downed a U.N. helicopter." Which makes it sounds bit like South Sudan is trying to wage a war against the UN. I don't know the details of the human rights officer case, but reportedly the shooting of the helicopter was clearly an accident. Following years and years of bombing by North Sudan (the South has no airforce), recent sighting of Northern planes bringing supplies to rebels in the South, reports that North Sudan has purposely disguised its aircraft as UN aircraft in the past, and reportedly a phone call made by the SPLA before the strike was made to check, in which the UN were not aware of any UN aircraft in that area. (More details from Eric Reeves here). So maybe cut the South a bit of slack on that one.

3 comments:

Dickens said...

The whole video seemed to frame things in a condescending manner. One has to respect the South Sudanese for what they've accomplished in the face of incredible odds, but this video seems to belittle that, intentionally or not. It's like it was imitating 30 Rock, where it's the job of the UN and Important People with Paper to manage those wacky, ignorant, helpless Africans and try to keep them out of trouble. "What's that South Sudan? You invaded Sudan for no good reason? Silly South Sudan." "Ok South Sudan, you focus on your flag and your songs, and we'll handle all the important things for you, your 'road map' and 'statehood' and all that."

Anonymous said...

Howdy! I understand this is kind of off-topic but I had to ask.
Does managing a well-established website like yours take a lot of work?
I am brand new to blogging however I do write
in my diary everyday. I'd like to start a blog so I will be able to share my experience and views online. Please let me know if you have any kind of recommendations or tips for brand new aspiring blog owners. Appreciate it!
Feel free to visit my page ; way to get rid of acne

Anonymous said...

Howdy! I understand this is kind of off-topic but I had to ask.
Does managing a well-established website like yours take a lot of work?
I am brand new to blogging however I do write in my diary everyday.

I'd like to start a blog so I will be able to share my experience and views online. Please let me know if you have any kind of recommendations or tips for brand new aspiring blog owners. Appreciate it!
My site :: way to get rid of acne

Post a Comment