07 April 2009

Wars, Guns and Votes




I'm generally a big Collier fan. He has a fairly unique talent amongst economists for communication - his talks are great (no powerpoint!) and his writing is very readable. And he comes up with a lot of great ideas. For all the criticism of his heroic assumptions based on slightly shaky statistics, I think you are allowed a bit of slack when you are at the frontier, and the theory is often pretty convincing.

So I'm enjoying his latest book already, but I've just got to the part where he talks about Southern Sudan (page 76 if anyone's interested). Whilst the general argument is broadly correct, I'd love to know where the 5-star hotel and international shopping mall he mentions are. Seriously Paul, I would love an international shopping mall. Where is it!

No comments:

Post a Comment