05 April 2013

UK Public Spending

I don't think I've seen any proper discussion of the composition of UK public spending amongst the current debates on cuts and benefits, so here are a few charts from the IFS. 

From a 2009 survey of public spending you can see what the main categories are - social security, NHS, education, and defence. 


Then this observation compares mid-Labour pre-crisis spending in 2003 to estimated spending by the end of the current government in 2007. They aren't all that different, except for increases in health spending, pensions, and debt interest.



Finally this 2012 survey of the benefit system breaks down the largest category, social security, into recipients. Unemployment benefits make up just 2.6% (though people out of work will also claim some of the low-income benefits such as housing allowance, and there are no doubt some people on sick and disability who could manage some form of useful paid activity, even if the reforms to the testing regime have been poorly handled and very unfair on some people). Nevertheless, 60% of social security is for the elderly and for children.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Huггаh! At laѕt I got а blog from where
I can gеnuinеly obtain helpful infoгmatіon сoncеrning my
study and knowlеdge.

Ηerе iѕ my homepаge - homes for rent plano

Anonymous said...

Helpful infоrmation. Lucky me Ι discoѵеred your wеbsite by сhance,
and Ι am stunnеd why thiѕ aсciԁent dіd not toοk
plаce earlіeг! І boοκmarkеd it.



Mу web ρаge: uptown homes for rent

Anonymous said...

Hi! I know this is kind of off-topic however I needed to ask.
Does operating a well-established blog like yours take a lot of work?
I am completely new to operating a blog however I do write in my
diary daily. I'd like to start a blog so I can easily share my experience and views online. Please let me know if you have any suggestions or tips for new aspiring bloggers. Thankyou!

My blog :: クロエ

Anonymous said...

Somebody essentially lend a hand to make significantly articles I
would state. That is the first time I frequented your web page and so far?

I amazed with the analysis you made to create this actual submit incredible.
Wonderful activity!

My homepage :: クリスチャンルブタン 販売

Post a Comment