03 January 2012

The Political Economy of Fertility

I argue that fertility may be a strategic choice for ethnic groups engaged in redistributive conflict. I first present a simple conflict model where high fertility is optimal for each ethnic group if and only if the economy’s ethnic diversity is high, institutions are weak, or both. I then test the model in a cross-national dataset. Consistent with the theory, I find that economies where the product of ethnic diversity and a measure of institutional weakness is high have increased fertility rates. I conclude that fertility may depend on political factors.
I'm skeptical of the cross-national empirics without having looked at them, because ... they are cross-national empirics (see here for further explanation). But the theory is interesting and sounds plausible.

(And here's the link for the paper by Thorsten Janus, forthcoming in Public Choice)

5 comments:

Matt said...

Link?

rovingbandit said...

cheers, added above

Matt said...

Plus: sounds plausible??

rovingbandit said...

Good point. Sounds plausible somewhere like South Sudan, but perhaps not in a global cross-country dataset......

Anonymous said...

Hi there! This blog post couldn't be written any better! Reading through this article reminds me of my previous roommate! He continually kept preaching about this. I will forward this post to him. Pretty sure he will have a very good read. I appreciate you for sharing!

my web-site: bvefejleszto.weboldala.net/user/profile/leonoruey/

Post a Comment