27 July 2010

Goodbye Juba!: Top 10 things I’ll Miss (and won’t miss)

Day 3 of recovery from my Southern Sudan addiction and hot water is still amazing.
In traditional blog-format: Things I’ll miss:
  1. My housemates
  2. Friends and Colleagues
  3. The “Morning!” kids
  4. My Senke motorbike
  5. Rolexes and beans for lunch
  6. The Sun!
  7. The surly tea-ladies at the Ministry who bully us khawajas
  8. Sudanese Greetings: Every person in the room gets a handshake, no matter how long it takes or how inconvenient. Old friends get a good slap on the chest.
  9. Poker at Sam’s
  10. Playing football with the Bangladeshi peacekeepers
And things I won’t miss:
  1. Malaria!
  2. Having to deal with a broken generator and/or car on an almost weekly basis
  3. Cold showers
  4. The heat
  5. The traffic cops
  6. The slowest internet in the world
  7. The most annoying mobile phone ringtones in the world
  8. Meetings which start an hour late
  9. The neighbours’ fondness for playing very loud Westlife and Celine Dion
  10. Queuing for an hour to withdraw money from Kenya Commercial Bank
I’m still a bit disorientated and will hopefully achieve some coherence at some point.

Update: I forgot about Anna our cleaning lady! Not looking forward to doing my own laundry and dishes again.

6 comments:

Joe Powell said...

Hope the blog will continue is some way otherwise that is what I'll miss.

texasinafrica said...

If you're headed where I hear you're headed, you may get more of the cold shower treatment yet. Be well, and please keep blogging.

Rohit said...

We're looking forward to having you join us at IPA!

Lee said...

So far so warm in Limuru (at least the shower water, the rest of the place is freezing). I would hope that New Haven has warm water?!

Rohit - looking forward to more posts for the IPA blog - also let me know if you hear about any rooms for rent in New Haven!

texasinafrica said...

Rule #1 for New Haven: assume nothing.

You'll want to look for a place in the East Rock neighborhood; it's generally pleasant and the murder rate has dropped considerably in the last decade.

Lee said...

Ha! You don't scare me!

Post a Comment